Saturday, September 12

Almost home away from home

Singapore doesn't fail to amaze me. Apart from being super efficient, it has people from so many different cultures living and working together that there are a lot of people who are not Singaporeans but call it their home. I won't call it home because it has not been that awesome for me yet but then again it has just been 10ish months and as an optimist I expect everything to get awesome-er with time.

It is not home but it doesn't fail to remind me of home one way or the other. This other day I went for a meal with my friend and we wanted to eat Indian food. We went to Ananda Bhavan. It is the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Singapore and is very popular with the pure vegetarians who only eat veg food all the time. The place has great ambiance and even better food but there was something else that caught my eye.

Look at the bill below. It has the item description in English and surprisingly Tamil. I was really surprised, confused, overjoyed, homesick, proud and cheerful when I saw this. I am not a Tamilian but when you are away from home, anything remotely related catches your eye and brings back memories. It is these small things here and there that make Singapore an exciting place and close to home even when you are away from home.




No comments: