Sunday, March 1

Why do I fell on top of the world today?

If you have ever been to Bombay (I still call it Bombay) in the monsoons, you will know how heavy the rains can be and if you grew up there as a kid you know how much fun it can be to be out there playing cricket / football with your mates or running up to your apartment's terrace just to get wet and escape the humid weather.

I was eating my dinner and noticed some unusual activity. The curtains started fluttering at an unusual pace, clouds started pouring everything they had in them and making the thundering noise to make everyone take notice, crowds started running for cover not because they did not want to fall sick, they wanted to save the most precious thing in today's life: their cell phones.

Over the last few years, even I took cover every time I was caught unawares in the rain but today was different. This week at work was pretty tough on me and the weekend did not have a great start with my external hard disc crashing one day before I was planning to back up the data. I looked outside, then at myself and then outside again. It was clear what I wanted.

I threw my mobile and just ran out. It was strange at first because every other time, I have been out in the rains, it has always been with my buddies. Today it was just me and only me. And Singapore is pretty different from Bombay. People don't like the rains as much as we do back in Bombay. I even got the 'wtf is wrong with you' look, the 'tgiil (this guy is in love)' look, the 'saala Indian will always be an Indian' look but after the first couple of minutes, it started getting better. The fun I was having blocked all these stupid thoughts and I started to enjoy what I was doing.


I think this was the first time I went out and enjoyed the rain after I started working. 9 to 5 just changes you so much. I am not the same person that I was anymore and I think I have changed more after coming here but today was a day very different from the last few years and the chocolate ice cream that I ate after that was the icing on the cake.

But really, I feel like all the stress that was there just got washed away with that little time in the rain. I really feel like a new person. All of it might go away once I reach office on Monday morning but it is still better than every other weekend where I keep thinking about how bad the week was. So, my little piece of advice will be 'just go get wet in the rain the next time it rains' and I bet you will feel awesome too.

No comments: