Wednesday, October 13

I don't know who that is. Do you?

My landlord's daughter is just over 2 years old. Her mum was showing her some old pictures on the laptop when I got home. She loves looking at photos and I see signs of a immense love for computer and images in her.

I was surprised...no wait...shocked when I saw what I saw. The kid was able to recognize every one else in the photo except herself. EXCEPT HERSELF. Shocking right? At what age does the human brain start comparing images that it sees with images / visuals it has seen in the past? I am going to see if I can find that out.

The kid was unable to recognize herself in photos taken at different stages in her life. We showed her photos when she was 3 days old, 1 month old, 3 months old, 6 months old, 12 months old, and recent photos when she was 2 years old. She recognized herself in the most recent photos but in the old photos, she kept referring to herself as 'baby' which is the generic term she uses to talk about kids or other children not herself. Mind you, she did recognize her parents in the old photos but couldn't recognize herself.

The reason, I think, she was able to recognize her parents was because they haven't changed noticeably in the past 2 years while she failed to recognize herself because she has changed soooooo much in the last 2 years. Her brain hasn't developed to see something, identify potential similarity with past visuals (of herself in this case), compare the two and make that logical connection. Right now she can just see things & compare it to, lets call it, recent memory and recent would mean just over 3 months or so I am guessing. I have seen kids recognize themselves in front of a mirror and I have seen this girl recognize herself in front of a  mirror and on a TV screen (when turned off) reflecting her image back as all that is extremely recent memory. Right?

I am going to check with my psychologist friends and see if I can find out more about this. For now, since we are talking about old pictures & since this is a photo blog, here is a photo of me when I think I was 7 or 8 years old. Leave your comments about the article or the photo in comments.
Raging Bull maybe?


No comments: